Did you know that only 1 in 10 incidents of child abuse are ever reported? For every child victim who finds their voice to report their abuse, we KNOW that 9 do not.
New Jersey is a universal mandated reporting state. This means that any person with reasonable cause to believe that a child has been subjected to abuse or neglect should immediately report this information to the State Central Registry (SCR), 1-877 NJ ABUSE (1-877-652-2873). If the child is in immediate danger, call 911 as well as the hotline. A concerned caller does not need proof to report an allegation of child abuse and can make the report anonymously.
KNOW & TELL is a public responsibility movement, to educate ALL ADULTS to KNOW the signs of abuse and TELL responsible authorities when they recognize them.
Children depend on you to KNOW the signs. Adults have a responsibility to be aware of any changes in a child’s behavior and the emotional and physical signs that can indicate abuse or neglect. Awareness of these signs is a crucial step to protecting our children. KNOW the signs of abuse and help educate others.
Children depend on you to be their voice. When a child shares that he or she has been hurt or you suspect that a child may be the victim of any types of abuse or neglect, New Jersey law requires you to report what you know to the child abuse hotline, 1-877 NJ ABUSE (1-877-652-2873).
Be Educated, to Inform, So you Can Protect. Understanding the three elements of KNOW & TELL, Educate, Inform, and Protect, in this order, will provide you with the knowledge and confidence you need to protect and help a child victimized by abuse and/or neglect get the appropriate support.
KNOW & TELL is a training program for adults on preventing, recognizing, and reporting child abuse. Expert trainers provide interactive and dynamic workshops across New Jersey on how to create a safe community where all adults help promote child safety and understand their role as a mandated reporter of child abuse.
Organizations/Participants who complete the 3-hour IN-PERSON Training receive:
- Customizable Training based on organizational needs, for example
- content focused on specific areas of need and interest for specific audiences
- split sessions (1.5 hours over (2) sessions vs. (1) 3-hour session) based on organizational schedules
- Interactive Activities
- 1-2 KNOW & TELL® Presenters (determined by group size) and, when available, members of child abuse response multidisciplinary teams
- KNOW & TELL® Folder filled with resources and reminders of how to keep children safe and make a report
- KNOW & TELL® Posters for schools and youth serving organizations
- Signs of Abuse
- Helpful Tips for Reporting
- Keeping Children Safe
- KNOW & TELL® Certificate with applicable training hours toward professional development standards and requirements.
- KNOW & TELL® Educated Badges (for organizational websites and vestibule entryways) recognizing your entire organization for successfully completing the training program.
The In-Person Training takes at least 2.5 hours to present and is best delivered in a 3 – 3.5 hour block of time if interactive activities and Q&A sessions are desired.
To learn about scheduling a free KNOW & TELL training for your group, please email Nydia Y. Monagas, Psy.D., email@example.com.